Quality recommendation for logs
- High-quality logs don’t have sudden turns or defects in shape.
- Logs can’t have cracks on the surface, heartwood- or ring cracks.
- Carpenters can’t use lumber with ring cracks
- Lumber with cracks in the heartwood can be partly used if the defects are removed by sawing.
- Reaction wood.
- A tree with a minor heart blackening can still be used.
- If the wood has become soft from rot, it can’t be used. However rotten wood can be used if the rotted part is still hard.