- Glasbjörk (S)
- Hieskoivu (FI)
- Moorbirke (D)
- Le bouleau (F)
The downy birch grows all over Finland except the the region north from Kittilä. Birch, pine and spruce are our most common tree species.
Location of growth
- The downy birch grows well in a damp environment
- It prospers in young nutrient-rich forests, swamps, trenches and near roads.
- It handles pollution well and needs a lot of light
- Birch survives stormy weather well thanks to its thick root.
- Birch makes the soil it grows in better for other plantlife.
- Fjeld birch is a subspecies of downy birch that has adapted to grow on fells of Finland.
- The downy birch is often a multi-trunk tree that grows up to 20 meters tall
- The bark of the birch tree is white and unique, except on the foot of the tree
- The outer branches of the canopy are often hanging
- The birch has a widespread root system.
- The highest quality birch grows in soil high with nutrients.
- The birch should be fallen as soon as possible when it reaches maturity so it doesn’t have time to rot.
- The downy birch is smaller than the silver birch
The characteristics of wood
- The fibers of downy birch are larger that the ones found in silver birch and thus it’s easier to split in two.
- The wood is light and the fiber pattern is hard to make out.
- The heartwood is not noticeably different than the surface wood
- The wood is hard and elastic
- It is important to dry birch well, because it rots very easily.
- High quality log of birch is straight and at least 25cm thick. The trunk has to be smooth and it should not have cracks caused by low temperature or rot.
- The dry lumber should weight 600kg/m3
The wood samples have been surface treated as such:
- Left, water-based acrylic lacquer
- Center, no treatment
- Right, two component catalystlacquer or oil
- There is a high demand for birch in the furniture industry and woodcraft.
- Birch is the main raw material in the veneer industry.
- The bark of birch is used by many craftsmen
- The wood is also used by the paper industry
- The sap of birch can be used as ingredient for various things, such as drinks